Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mean Streak

It's almost time to go home and I am super excited to see everyone. We just got back from the lower 9th Ward. Our shoot got called on a count of rain. I could've kept working but apparently some people think they're prone to melt : )

I've had a pretty mean streak of bad luck. Yesterday four of us went out for another casual shoot nothing planned we just went out to a spot that Rich wanted to see. There we found a house that has been untouched (as far as we can tell) since the storm. A lady named Nora was there showing her sister and family the same house. I started interviewing her and in the middle of it my ipod died. So I moved onto taking pictures of her and her kids and then this house. The hardest part was a little boy’s room. His bed, his clothes, his toys, all tossed on top of each other. Next to it was the parents room and there I found a rusted metal picture frame with the little boys picture still in it. Judging from the water lines I believe the water came up about 10 or so feet on this house. It is located less then a block from one of the leave breaks.

The sucky part came at dinner. I pulled out my camera to show Caitlin some of the photos only to find out that my card corrupted and all the images are probably gone. I'm taking the card home to Jon; hopefully he can work some of his magic and bring a couple of the images back. It sucks because I previewed the images on the back of the camera, so I can see them in my head, and I know they were some of my favorites from this trip. But now I can't get them from my head to paper.

To add insult to injury my ipod died again today in the middle of another interview. And so I couldn't use it later when a local man was telling us his experience to trying to help his and three other families escape the 9th Ward.

Sign.... such is life.

I did get some good stuff today that I'm working on right now. So, I'll talk to you all later. I should be home tomorrow sometime after 5ish. If the sun comes back out we might make one more trip to the 9th ward tomorrow bright and early.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey Bethany,

Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. I hope you are able to recover your images. I am so looking forward to seeing all the photographs you guys have taken.

Michelle