Saturday, March 8, 2008

Expectations about New Orleans Trip

In class I was asked to blog about my expectation for the New Orleans Trip and my thoughts on the movies we viewed regarding New Orleans. It's harder request then you might think, I make a point of trying not to build expectations before a shoot. Instead I prepare myself to go with whatever twist might come up.

But anyway, I have to blog something so I'll give it a shot.

I expect it'll be hard, mentally, physically, emotional. I've never been a morning person so starting out at 6am, that will be a challenge. I also know that I have a habit of shooting through exhaustion, I have to make myself pay attention to my body so I don't wear myself out on the very first day out.

It's been years since since I've been in a Southern Climate. I am nervous about what effect that will have on my shooting and my equipment. Right now I want to shoot as much as possible so that no matter what I face there the basics will be so second nature that I can think about bigger concerns and not whether my exposure is good and my focus is perfect and if my flash is strong enough.

I know being an empathic person this project will be very emotionally draining. A lot of terrible things happened down there and the wounds are still very fresh. Hearing these stories first hand, ufta.
I plan to use this to my advantage. Channel my feelings into my camera and hope what comes out is an strong emotional image that tell the stories that need to be heard.

It was recommended to us that we watch a couple movies about New Orleans, one being "When the Leaves Broke" directed by Spike Lee. The other was done by The American Experience, it was a nice cross section of New Orleans culture. I feel like I know the city already and I haven't even been there yet. Spike Lee's movie was very moving, I cried my way through all four hours. So many things went wrong, so many people screwed up and so many people stepped up. I would recommend them both to anyone. (I think the other movie was just call "New Orleans, the American experience...or something like that)

Sometimes its good to learn about the world outside of your bubble. It a humbling experience.


Well, that's all I can think to say right now. Stay tuned in for more ramblings later : )

No comments: